1. At the invitation of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath NORODOM SIHAMONI, King of Cambodia, His Excellency Bounnhang VORACHITH, General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Lao People’s Revolutionary Party and President of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the Lao PDR), led a high-level delegation to pay a State Visit to the Kingdom of Cambodia from 09 to 10 February 2020.
2. During this visit,His Excellency Bounnhang VORACHITH laid wreaths and paid homage at the Independence Monument and the Royal Memorial of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah NORODOM SIHANOUK, Preah Borom Ratanak Kaudh, the Late King-Father of Cambodia.
3. His Excellency Bounnhang VORACHITH had a royal audience with His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath NORODOM SIHAMONI. His Excellency the President of the Lao PDR also received courtesy calls by Samdech VibolSenaPheakdey SAY CHHUM, President of the Senate, Samdech Akka MohaPonhea Chakrei HENG SAMRIN, President of the National Assembly, and Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HUN SEN, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
4. In a cordial atmosphere of traditional friendship, mutual understanding and trust, the leaders of the two countries briefed each other on the current development in Cambodia and Laos and exchanged views in depth on bilateral cooperation, as well as regional and international issues of common interest. His Majesty the King and the leaders of Cambodia highlighted the historic significance of the second state visit to Cambodia since 2017 of His Excellency Bounnhang VORACHITH in enhancing the spirit of solidarity and good neighbourliness between the two countries. They applauded the steady socio-economic progress of the Lao PDR and expressed confidence that under the wise leadership of the Lao People’s Revolutionary Party, Lao people will fulfill their aspiration to reach an upper middle-income status by 2030.
5. In response, His Excellency Bounnhang VORACHITH congratulated Cambodia’s success in maintaining peace, stability and continued high economic growth under the esteemed guidance of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath NORODOM SIHAMONI and the right development path adopted by the Royal Government of Cambodia led by Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HUN SEN, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
6. His Excellency Bounnhang VORACHITH andleaders of Cambodia emphasize the importance of the elevation of bilateral relations between the Kingdom of Cambodia and the Lao PDR to a comprehensive and long-lasting strategic partnership in 2019 and shared the views that it will further consolidate and enhance the bond of amity, the spirit of fraternal solidarity and cooperation in the political-security, economic, social-cultural of the two countries.
7. In the areas of defence and public security, they agreed that all institutions concerned of the two countries should coordinate and work closely together, through regular consultations and exchange of visits at all levels, in order to address consular and legal issues, combat illicit drugs and other transnational crimes and deal with transboundary issues such as communicable diseases and disasters.They also concurred on the need for greater efforts to promote economic, trade, investment and tourism exchanges between the two countries and cooperation in various areas including energy, agriculture, finance, transport, telecommunication, labour and education.
8. His Excellency Bounnhang VORACHITH and the leaders of Cambodia expressed their satisfaction on the agreement reached by the two Prime Ministers on the 12th September 2019 by tasking theJoint Boundary Commission of the two countriesto draft a treaty the Demarcation of the boundary between the two countries pertaining to the segmentswhere both sides have accomplished demarcation work amounting to 86% of the common borderline between the two countries and in pursuing the negotiation to resolve the remaining un-demarcated border areasin order to builda common border of peace, friendship and cooperation.
9. His Excellency Bounnhang VORACHITH and the Cambodian leaders also expressed common desire for the two countries to support each other and further promote cooperation in regional and international frameworks, such as ASEAN, Mekong Sub-regional mechanisms and the United Nations.
10. His Excellency Bounnhang VORACHITH expressed sincere appreciation for the cordialhospitality extended to Lao delegation during their stay in Phnom Penh. He extended an invitation to His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath and Her Majesty Queen-Mother NOROMDOM MONINEATH SIHANOUK accepted with great pleasure.
Phnom Penh, 10 February 2020